|Giving Birth at Home or in the Hospital|
|Written by Sandy Ball|
Where to Give Birth?Generally, when you think of pregnancy, you have a certain, specific picture in your mind. You may think about what it is like to be pregnant, and about how it will be in the hospital when you finally give birth. Although this is a common way to go through with the birth, there are other options open to you. You could give birth at home, or you could go with the same old traditions. What you choose is completely up to you. Before you make your decision, you should weigh the pros and cons of both methods. This way, you will know for certain which method is the right one for both you and your baby. After all, while your health is important, the health of your baby is paramount.
First, you need to think about the costs. Giving birth in a hospital is actually a lot more expensive than most people think. When you take into account the medication they give and the work that the doctors and nurses do, the costs can really add up. If you have maternity insurance, this can help cover your costs. If they cover 40% of your costs, that leaves 60% that you need to pay yourself. For instance, if the bill comes to $10,000, which can easily happen, you would end up having to pay $6,000 of your own money. Many people can't afford to give birth in a hospital, even when they do have maternity insurance. Then, you may want to consider giving birth in your own home.
When you give birth at home, your expenses are much lower. You don't have to worry about paying the wages of several nurses and doctors. You also won't have to pay for the medication that they will eventually push on you. This is a big reason why some women choose to have their baby in their own home. Another reason is that it is a more intimate affair. You are giving birth to your child in the house that they will grow up in. It can't get much more romantic than that. There are downsides to giving birth at home, though.
One of the biggest reasons not to have your baby at home is because of a medical emergency. Even if you have someone with you who is experienced at this, something could still go wrong. If it does, you won't be able to take care of the situation as quickly or well as the hospital staff could. That’s why it may be worth it to go to a hospital instead. If anything does go wrong, whether it is to you or to your baby, you will be with people who can help you. When you're at home and there is a medical emergency, it may take too long to make it to a hospital. That means that having your baby at home adds a bit of risk. If there is any inkling that you or your baby's health may deteriorate at birth, you should go to a hospital instead.
Inevitably, this choice is up to you. You need to be comfortable in the place at which you give birth. This is one of the more important things. If you are stressed out too much, you are bringing your baby into a negative atmosphere from the start. For some, this may mean deciding to stay at a hospital. For others, it may mean the comfort and intimacy of your own home. In order to make your decision, you need to evaluate each method to make sure that it is the right one for you.